Saturday, January 20, 2007

My 1st Gasbag Review


When I start reading a book I like to stick to it, finish no matter how bad....sometimes I'm surprised and the story comes together and sometimes the book just stinks!

Nemesis :A book by Bill Napier

In Greek mythology, Nemesis is the goddess of divine justice and vengeance. This makes me wonder "What did I do so wrong that the Gods led me to this Horrible book?"

I know what it was, I've read Dan Browns novels ,The Davinci Code , Angels and Demons and Deception Point and when I read the back cover of Napier's Nemesis it appealed to me in a Dan Brownesque sort of way. Wrong!!

The book suggests radical Russians have somehow diverted a yet to be identified asteroid on to a collision course with North America. The US Government puts an international team of scientists together to identify the Asteroid and a plan to stop it. If we can't stop it then when do we launch our missles on Russia?

The worst part of reading this book was that I felt I was trapped back in my Trigonometry Class.: If D=R then S means I'm falling asleep.

The only part of the book that was of any interest was the historical perspective. One of the Phd's becomes convinced there is a 400 year old manuscript that was written by a monk but it was siezed by the church and hidden away because it called into question the christian doctrines of the day. Back then the church maintained that the earth was the center of the universe and if you didn't believe that you were gonna spend time on the torture table.

Whenever the book went back in time and Napier wrote about the monk's trials and tribulations...the story was very good. But too often he return to...."M to the Power of 3 multiplied by 6 and divided by L(2.5N)"blah blah blah...

The end was predictable.

If you have trouble sleeping, put Nemesis on your night table.

P.S. Go New England Patriots

Beat the Colts in today's AFC Championship Match

8 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

Fabulous review!!!

St Jude said...

I rarely have trouble sleeping, being a Saint and all, however should the need ever arise I will of course try this rememdy. Very good review.

Amie Adams said...

Colts schmotlz!

Thanks for the warning re: the book.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the sleep aid recommendation. I'm a periodic insomniac, so I may need it.

Dana said...

I read that book and I agree with you 100%. It had a great premise, but really ended up sucking.

Go Chicago Bears!

tomshideaway said...

Thanks for your comments..Dana I'm with Da Bears now too....Pats just ran out of gas but they really gave us New England Fans a good season.

Anonymous said...

I do the same; finish each book I start. Its a good habit in my opinion? Its always a good habit to finish what you start, right?

tomshideaway said...

I agree, some things are more difficult then others though!