Monday, May 21, 2007

Generation O

We've had the G.I. Generation, the Beatniks, the Hippies, The Yuppies, Generation X or the Me Generation and their rivals the Y's. I think it could be said we're in the midst of the Over Generation or if you like Generation O. So who are the Overs?

We have an abundance of Over Exposure thanks to our numerous forms of media. The days when Raymond Burr or Rock Hudson could live and work in Hollywood making movies or films television shows without the the general public knowing they were gay is long dead. Now we are informed immediately when someone like Britney Spears forgets to wear underwear or when Alec Baldwin leaves a frightful message on his daughters cell phone. We're right there to hear that Pamela Anderson has Hepatitis and who she's having sex with....I don't care but we , the public, are Overwhelmed with information that has no relevance to our daily lives.

Overdone: We can blame Television Programming for churning out one Reality Show after another, Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelor or Bachelorette, The Biggest Loser, The Amazing Race, Wife Swap...it just goes on and on and I'll tell you the truth all I have to do is look in my wallet for a good dose of reality. When I watch TV I'd rather go on a three hour tour, marry a witch..ooh I did that, or maybe find a Genie in a bottle. Give me some fantasy any day.

Overindulged: That's easy to see just look at Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie, what a pair. Then they get their own "Reality Show" ????? Parents!! That's what OVER indulgence breeds!!

Overcompensate: Oil executives, CEO's, Professional Athletes, Entertainers all get overcompensated and what happens? Overpriced gasoline, theater tickets, movies, sporting events, concerts...The only place you can buy an affordable Hot Dog in any of those places is a gas station!! I'm never eating at a gas station, they don't serve beer. . But while prices for entertainment have gone OVER the TOP, people still pay. In Maine they would say "That's Odd" and for them that would be an OVER-statement.

And while all this is going on we are Over-Taxed !!

Have I OverLooked anything ??

19 comments:

mist1 said...

Sometimes, I wear overalls. Does that make me one of them?

o said...

BINGO!!

Add over the hill baseball players signing gaudy but prorated contracts...

Sebastien Millon said...

I think we live in a golden age. The tv is our god. The celebrities are our saints. Celebrities' underwear are treasured as relics... Can things be any better? Can a culture attain a higher degree of sophistication? The answers, of course, are no and no.

Anonymous said...

I thought of one thing you didn't mention. How about over indulged!
Remember when you were a kid and you wanted a dirt bike? You didn't get it did you! That why you still have your two front teeth! Now days some parents can't say NO to anything.

tomshideaway said...

Mist, let me think that over...

Sally...you mean Roger Clemens don't you?? Can't wait to see him lose!!

Sebastien, correct and carrect

Toes...I've been mentally scarred though and I did mention overindulged...SEE you just don't listen to me!!

i used to be me said...

That pretty much sums it up, Tom.

My grandson wants a Wii. His parents are making him save for it. I would applaud them if he didn't already have an XBox and Playstation.

tomshideaway said...

Unacknowledged -- I remember playing in the woods, street hockey, football now everyone seems plugged into video games!!

Ken Albin said...

You alluded to it in your post, but how about oversexed? This generation is bombarded in almost every advertisement, movie, magazine article, etc... with sex. Now I'm all in favor of sex but using it to sell everything from books to dental floss is a little over the top.

Kath Lockett said...

You could add 'obese' to the list too !

tomshideaway said...

Ken, those "Happy Couples" on the Valtrex commercials give me the creeps !!

Milly...Over-Eating definitely should be there!!

WSPC said...

Everything you said is so true. And what a generation of spoilt, bratty kids are being raised. You see them performing in supermarkets because the want something and the parents just give them anything they want to shut them up.
And how about the mothers who try to reason with a 2 year old. Hey, give it a quick tap on the bum and it'll soon behave.

Anonymous said...

I just want to mention the fact that these things really bug you now because you are ALMOST Over the Hill! However, I do agress with your comments. People seem to do everything no a days in an OVER THE TOP fashion. By the way, you didn't really need a dirt bike, might I remind you of your lip injury with the tricycle.

MaryAlice

eastcoastlife said...

I'm overworked. I need your hands all over me!

Put your pants back! You over-react, I just need a massage. hehehe.....

tomshideaway said...

wspc, the brats are taking over!!

Mary Alice, did you say Over The Hill??? That's not very nice!!

Eastcoast: you are one hot mama, too bad you are way OVER on the other side of the globe!!

Anonymous said...

How about overworked - I mean look at all of the people who "burnout" at their jobs because companies expect you to work 24/7 because you are connected by email, internet, pagers, etc...you have a mobile office. I couldn't believe they were actually considering letting people use cell phones on airplanes, it's bad enough that they can use computers on them. Folks can't stop working for even a 1 hour flight - ever been on the inside seat trying to get to the aisle with people who are using their laptops next to you? Now there is a juggling act! All work and no play is stress inducing!

L'il Bunny

tomshideaway said...

Lil Bunny, as you know I NEVER disagree with my fellow Rabbits!!

Anonymous said...

Tom - don't mind that MaryAlice. She is jealous after all she since doesn't have her real front tooth! The skating incident... hee, hee, hee!

L'il Bunny

tomshideaway said...

Lil Bunny, Mary doesn't bother me she's always been adversarial, remember she was KICKED OUT of Kindergarten!!

Attila the Mom said...

Oooh. That was great!