A program for eligible taxpayers developed through a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Free File Alliance LLC, a group of private sector tax software companies. Since Free File’s debut in 2003, more than 15.4 million returns have been prepared and e-filed through the program. Free File allows taxpayers with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $52,000 or less in 2006 to e-file their federal tax returns for free. That means 70 percent of all taxpayers – 95 million taxpayers – can take advantage of the Free File program.
The Program begins January 12th, 2007 and here are some of the changes from last year:
- Free File is a free service offered by companies for taxpayers with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $52,000 or less.
- Before selecting a company link, review the tax software company’s criteria to confirm that you meet their eligibility for preparing and e-filing your federal return for free.
- Fees for state tax returns may apply. Some companies offer free state tax return preparation and e-filing. Check company websites for more details.
- Some companies offer extensions for free.
- Some companies offer free e-filing of the Form 1040EZ-T, Telephone Excise Tax Refund, for those who want to claim the refund credit and are not required to file a federal income tax return.
- You are under no obligation to buy any of the company’s other products or services.